IntroductionElastic Block Storage is an AWS cloud-based block storage system for storing persistent data. It enables you to keep data persistently on a file system, even after you shut down your EC2 instance accidentally or by any chance. Volume Encryption is needed to secure your data from outside the world. KMS is a service provided by AWS cloud to create customer-managed keys using which we can encrypt and decrypt the EBS volume containing your crucial data.
- AWS account access.
- EC2 Instance running with attached EBS volume.
- Step 1 — Login to AWS Account
- Step 2 — Create customer managed KMS keys
- Step 3 — Stop your EC2 Instance
- Step 4 — Create an EBS Snapshot
- Step 5 — Create new EBS volume from the snapshot
- Step 6 — Detached the original EBS Volume
- Step 7 — Start your EC2 instance
Step 1 — Login to AWS Account
Step 2 — Create customer managed KMS keys
Create customer managed KMS keys using KMS service.
Step 3 — Stop your EC2 Instance
Step 4 — Create an EBS Snapshot
Create EBS snapshot of the volume.
Step 5 — Create new EBS volume from the snapshot
Encrypt volume using KMS keys