(updated May 24th, 2018; effective May 25, 2018)
The information presented herein is meant to advise visitors and registered users of TechBrown on the usage of “cookies” by TechBrown in regard to this “Website” and the services offered within.
“Cookie” is a term used to refer to cookie modules and similar technologies through which information can be collected and stored.
An “Internet Cookie” (also known as “browser cookie” or simply “cookie”) is a small text file that contains alphanumerical data and is stored in the memory of computers, smartphones and other Internet-enabled devices. A cookie has two components: the name and the content.
By design, cookies can only be accessed by the same web site that installed them, whenever the user returns to that web site.
Cookie usage purposes
Cookies are used to improve the user experience of the Website, adapt some features to the preferences of each user, and ensure a smooth operation of the Website services. Specifically:
- Registering a user account
- Saving user preferences
- Anonymous web traffic statistics to the Website (this allows us to see how we are doing and which areas of the Website can be improved)
- Delivery of online advertisements (since all Website services are free, this is how we are able to stay in business)
Cookie lifetime can vary depending on their purpose. Based on lifetime, cookies fall in one of two categories:
- Session cookies: stored temporary, deleted automatically when the web browser is closed
- Persistent cookies: stored on the user’s device until a specific time (which can be minutes, days, or years in the future) or until deleted manually through web browser settings or specialized computer software
Some parts of the content shown on the Website can come from external sources, which can add their own cookies, called “third-party cookies”. Specifically:
- Google Analytics: anonymous web traffic statistics (we use the following settings: anonymizeIP, Remarketing OFF, Advertising Features OFF, User-ID OFF) – details / settings / opt-out
- Google Adsense/Doubleclick: online advertisements – settings
Types of cookies used on the Website
Strictly necessary cookies: used to enable core web site functionality and store user preferences
- Performance cookies: used to facilitate usage statistics, including web traffic statistics
- Authentication cookies: used to allow registration of accounts as well as authentication (log in) to those accounts
- Advertising cookies: used to allow statistics on the performance of advertisements as well as target advertisements based on user interests
First-party cookies list
- wordpress_logged_in: used for user session handling (both visitors and authenticated users)
- cookieTxt: used to saving acceptance of the privacy and cookie policies
- _ga: Google Analytics, used to count sessions and unique users in web traffic statistics – details
- _gid: Google Analytics, used to count sessions and unique users in web traffic statistics
- _gat: Google Analytics, used to throttle requests to the statistics server
- __gads/__gac: Google Adsense rate-limiting & performance – details
Cookie management information
Disabling cookies makes the Website harder to use. Some features will be degraded while others will not work at all. For example, it is impossible to register or log in without cookies. This way, using the download basket or the watchlist features is no longer possible.
Nevertheless, users can configure their web browser to reject (or accept) cookies sent by specific sites. All modern browsers offer this functionality, which can be accessed through the “options” or “preferences” menu.
Disabling cookies will not stop advertisements from being show, but it might make them less relevant to users’ interests.
Here are a few useful links about managing cookies:
- Video about cookies and cookie management
- Cookie settings in Google Chrome
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Safari
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Opera
- Cookie settings in Safari (iOS)
- Cookie settings in Chrome (Android)
Granular management for third party cookies
To learn more about the choices that advertisers provide generally for individuals to influence how information about their online activities over time and across third-party Web sites or online services is collected and used, visit: Google Ads
Questions regarding cookie usage on this Website can be sent in written form, via email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org